Surety IT Security and Scam Alert
Surety IT provides a monthly alert of the scams impacting Australian businesses including phishing scams, malware attacks and security breaches/bugs.
You need to be particularly aware of -
- Using legitimate-looking fake ANZ landing pages, this latest phishing scam uses a display name of 'Support' is actually sent using Amazon web services and the domain '@anzsupport.cf'
- The email explains the banks use of challenge questions to secure accounts and recipients are requested to confirm their challenge questions and answers.
- Recipients who click on the link are led to an ANZ branded site to login using their Customer Registration Number and Password
- Should recipients log in, they are directed to a second page requesting 3 challenge questions and answers are set. Once this is completed they are redirected to the actual ANZ website.
- The purpose of this scam is to harvest the login details of ANZ customers so cyber criminals can break into bank accounts.
2. Apple ID
- In an attempt to steal Apple login credentials and are personal information, 2 new variations of emails scams are being sent using a display name of 'Apple'.
- A link is provided that requests recipients verify their Apple ID details, including billing information.
- Those who click on the link are led to a 404 page which is believed to have been an Apple phishing page.
- Red flags on this email include grammatical errors and the fact that recipients are not addressed by name.
3. Multiple Email Providers Brand-jacked
- In a new phishing scam, multiple popular and well-established companies such as Office 365 and Yahoo have been brandjacked
- The email is sent from a compromised mailbox with the 'From' field containing the email address of the actual sender and the 'To' field has been replaced with a generic display name of 'Recipients'
- Those who click on the 'Download Attachments' link are directed to a Onedrive branded phishing sites with additional links to select the email provider.
- Should one of the email provider links be clicked, recipients are redirected to a fake login page. For example the Office 365 login page is below:
- All links in this phishing scam are designed to harvest users' confidential login details.
- In this latest scam, cyber criminals have brand-jacked Xero and are sending hoax invoice notifications.
- Using the display name 'Xero Subscription Notifications', the body of the email advises recipients that their invoice is ready and that the amount in the invoice will be debited from their credit card.
- Including several links leading to legitimate Xero help pages, a link to the bill is also provided.
- Those who click on the link containing the invoice number initiate a download of a malicious payload designed to infect systems.
- The red flag in this email is that the real Xero commonly uses a PDF attachment rather than a link to an external website.
5. Egnyte & WeTransfer
- Appearing to be generated by Egnyte and sent via the software company's domain, this latest phishing scam is being sent using a display name of a compromised user.
- Advising recipients that the sender has shared a file with them, a link is provided to view a PDF file.
- Should the link be clicked, recipients are redirected to an authentic looking WeTransfer email for sharing a file.
- The 'View Folder' link leads to an Office 365 phishing page.
- Well executed, cyber criminals have utilised high quality graphical elements whilst spoofing all 3 brands - Egnyte, WeTransfer and Office 365.
If you'd like any further information, assistance with your cyber security or you don't know where to start please call us on 1300 478 738 or email us at email@example.com.
About the Author
Geoff Stewart is a highly experienced and skilled Technology Director at Surety IT. His knowledge is based on years of industry experience
having created customised, stable, well performing systems both for multi-national companies in the UK and Australia and Surety IT
Surety IT can help you create the right system to enhance your business, ensuring you know how it is right for you and how to use it. We will tailor a solution to suit your needs with leading systems, local support and more, building your vision for a more flexible and capable business.