Board Of Professional Engineers of Queensland
The Board of Professional Engineers of Queensland (BPEQ) and the Board of Architects of Queensland (BOAQ) are both small government departments who shared the same IT infrastructure and services in the same office in Brisbane. Surety IT was supporting both departments when, in 2014, a decision was taken for BPEQ to relocate their office, taking their own IT infrastructure and services with them.
The relocation presented a range of challenges:
- it created a need to design a new IT solution that was cost effective and allowed BPEQ to grow
- BPEQ didn’t want to migrate to the new IT solution until they were in the new office, therefore the implementation had to happen while the move was occurring
- downtime had to be kept to a minimum and all new services had to be up and running by move completion date
- only BPEQ data was to be migrated from the server; BOAC data needed to be left in place
- there needed to be provision a new phone system for BPEQ
- the budget was strict
- there was a need to design and implement a suitable off-site backup and disaster recovery solution.
To address the project challenges, we implemented our solutions path – a proven process of insight and action that sees us: understand, plan, build, maintain, enhance (Repeatable).
By clearly understanding the issues and challenges that BPEQ were facing, we able to plan and build the right solution for them.
The solution we built was tailored specifically for BPEQ. After an in-depth investigation we recommended they move to new Windows-based servers and Tier 1 server hardware with a three-year on-site warranty.
We built a reliable, tailor-made solution that provided users good performance and stability to critical systems. We also recommended that, in line with the Queensland Government Cloud computing policy, BPEQ move to a hosted Exchange email solution which was more cost effective and provided better business continuity for a department BPEQ’s size, rather than installing an in-house email server. This had an integrated anti-spam solution.
We ensured that backups were consistently taken both on and off site, and that regular test restores were performed so that in the event of any data loss BPEQ was protected. We set up off-site Cloud backups for critical data and recommended that BPEQ subscribe to our Sure[Safe] disaster recovery solution that provides an extremely cost effective recovery solution.
We leveraged the use of a Cloud-hosted VoIP telephone service as this again was more cost effective for the size of department that BPEQ was and provided high flexibility and reliability.
To address the challenges of leveraging Cloud services, we recommended that BPEQ install a suitable internet connection that allowed fast performance and reliability for Cloud-based services. We addressed this by partnering with our communications partner Cloud Plus and, with their expertise and assistance, designed a cost-effective, best-fit communications solution that provided BPEQ with the services they required.
We also created a new tailor-made IT support program, Sure[Net], as BPEQ’s requirements and services had changed, including all on-site work required included at a fixed monthly cost. BPEQ had a set IT support budget and needed to know how much annually they would be spending. They couldn’t afford to get additional invoices if on-site work was required.
That allowed us to proactively manage the new environment, ensure that everything was running consistently and reliably and that there was an engineer available to quickly respond if any issues arose.
As part of this managed services program, we still help with technology strategy, provide advice on any technology related projects and are BPEQ’s “one number to call” for issues.
- BPEQ experienced no downtime in the last year.
- Systems reliability and stability has increased.
- BPEQ senior management have the ability to receive and send email from anywhere at any time.
- The fixed monthly cost ensures budgeting is easy.
- The working disaster recovery solution is cost effective and tested on an annual basis.
- The system has the flexibility and capacity to grow.