When we were introduced to Blue Broking they shared IT services with another company. That company was separating from them, moving premises and taking the shared internal IT resources with them. This left Blue Broking wondering whether to hire their own internal IT resource or to partner with an external IT support company. They asked Surety IT to submit a proposal.
Before we did that we needed to get a clear understanding of Blue Broking’s requirements and expectations with regards to support, and to gain an insight into the IT systems and applications they were using.
We meet with Blue Broking management and, at the same time, a senior engineer went on site and reviewed their systems to ensure that we would be able to support them on an on-going basis. We also took the opportunity to see whether there were any issues with the systems so these could be highlighted to Blue Broking.
During this health-check we discovered that Blue Broking was dealing with a range of issues including:
- Due to a slow internet connection, access from the remote sites was extremely slow at various times of the day with, on occasions, users unable to work.
- The internet connection in Brisbane was causing slowness issues.
- Some of the critical IT infrastructure was out of warranty and was a risk to the business.
- Unreliable and inconsistent backups onto tape.
- There was a manual process in place for removing backup tapes off site.
- The anti-spam solution was cumbersome and hard for staff to use.
We submitted our tailored support proposal once we had documented their requirements and highlighted the issues. After careful consideration, Blue Broking approved our proposal and our recommendations for their ongoing IT support requirements.
To address the challenges and issues, we implemented our solutions path – a proven process of insight and action that sees us: understand, plan, build, maintain, enhance (Repeatable).
By clearly understanding Blue Broking’s support requirements, we were able to plan and build the right solution for them.
To address the challenges of Blue Broking’s infrastructure, we replaced the existing out-of-warranty equipment with new in-warranty Tier 1 equipment that also provided faster performance and the capacity to grow. We recommended that Blue Broking replace their existing internet connection into the Brisbane office with a fibre connection that would provide them with the additional internet speed and capacity they needed; our solution also gave them the ability to further increase speed and capacity if required.
We improved the connections into the Sydney and Perth offices and implemented a virtual desktop solution that provided a faster and more responsive performance for remote users. This gave us the ability to de-commission the out-of-warranty remote servers and centralise all data to Brisbane, where both image and off-site Cloud-based data backups were set up to replace the unreliable tape backups.
We replaced the anti-spam solution with a Cloud-based anti-spam solution that gave staff the ability to manage their own spam and receive a daily report to show them what had been quarantined. It also gave them the ability to release any emails that were not spam and “whitelist” the addresses so they wouldn’t be detected as spam in the future.
We designed a tailor-made support package for Blue Broking that ensured that they received the support they needed. Within this package we scheduled a half-day per week on site at the Blue Broking Head Office where maintenance tasks and installs were performed.
- Increased productivity across the business because of the technology changes that were made.
- More reliable infrastructure with a maximum of two hours downtime in the last year.
- Increased productivity at remote offices because of the improved systems and responsiveness.
- Automated and more reliable backups, including off site.
- The ability for staff to work on the road and from home because of the virtual desktop solution that was implemented.
- The centralisation of critical business data.
- The management team within the business have been able to focus on building on the technology and looking towards improving processes and new technologies rather than constantly worrying about IT related issues and outages.